7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1234
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 03:55 PM
PAS Member

Default Some thoughts

I think a large part of the problem is DNA itself. It's not just a complex molecule, but an astonishing multiplicity of functions that work together in a choreography that is nothing short of mind-bending. Just the mechanism for separating the strands prior to copying is a wonder, never mind messenger RNA, transfer RNA and the functions of the ribosome.

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjPcT1uUZiE

There have been some attempts to run the probabilities of the basic DNA structure and function "arising", even assuming self-organizing qualities. The time scale tends to end up in the 10's to 100's of trillion years, problematic in a 14 billion year old universe.

In fact, off the record many evolutionary biologists will admit that there really isn't a clue how the DNA system came into existence. Again off the record some very solid scientists have suggested seeding from somewhere else....

This is just the basic mechanics of the DNA storage, templating and reproduction system. It says nothing about the actual information encoded in the DNA that prescribes living organisms and how it came to be.

I think it's easy to skip over the underlying molecular mechanics of DNA or for that matter the mechanisms of how a completely new species could arise, given the what make for different species are in fact, profound differences in biology. To do so however is, I believe, a gross oversimplification that leads to unsupportable assumption.

I'm inclined to agree with Leah that life is much more special and rare than some would like to think....