S M T W T F S
2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Visitor

Default New member, new to Phoenix, getting a NEW SCOPE!!!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Alan. I just recently returned (last year) from four years of service in the Army (active). I spent the last year in north central California on the coast flight testing a new UAV for hi end military use. I have always enjoyed flying, and in the last year have taken to astronomy to help ease tensions I have at night due to combat stress. Let me tell you flying a UAV day in day out destroying the enemies will to fight is nothing like a video game. You know how good cameras are now a days, well the one I used was 1000x better. I'll leave you to figure out the rest. But anyways enough of my back story and on to the reason I am here. I live here in the valley with my beautiful wife and gorgeous little baby girl. Guess she isn't a baby anymore. She is almost 3 now. My how quick they grow up.

So for the last year I have been enjoying the heavens through a 4.5" Newtonian on a German-EQ mount. It gave me good views and will continue too for years to come, but I want, I need to see more. I want to see the bands of Jupiter. I want to see the many moons of Saturn. I really want to see The Great Nebula of Orion in better detail. I want alot it would seam. Living on a fixed income these days, the choice was limited. I wanted to do astrophotography but can't afford the short tubes that are so well adapt to the hobby. Seams someday outside of this one I'll get to that. So the choices narrowed. Then I found it. The Zhumell Z12, 12" Dob. I also purchased a Bino eyepiece to aid in eyestrain so I can ENJOY a LONG viewing session. Seams like a life long mate can come threw the mail! Should be here tomorrow, just in time for a day of building it and longing for the first taste of clear sky. Lucky this is Phoenix so chances are I won't be waiting long to enjoy this "sidewalk scope!" Look forward to many long talks and ingesting the heap of knowledge you all are willing to share.

Alan
AIRBORNE!!!

Last edited by Bamberger; 03-18-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Visitor

So if all goes well, I should get my new super model in the mail sometime today!!! So excited, and getting even more so seeing the forecast for the overnight hours! I have my 24" HDTV set up to display a live view from my D90 (12.3mega-pixel) Nikon DSLR. I can't wait to see GNO over 20" of HD screen. Should be night and day to my current setup. I hope it gets here soon, and at that point I will start building and get it ready for a backyard party tonight. If all goes well tomorrow their will be video or pictures of what I see. No moon to fight either so the environment should be prime, well as prime as it gets in Phoenix! So is there anyone else out here? Also, I would love to talk to some people with an identical set up. I would like to do a Stereo Image of the Moon. If you have a D90 you use to take photos, have a 12" scope, and am willing to share your photos, let me know. I have the computer to render the work, just need someone near S.C. +/- 250 miles with a like setup.

Last edited by Bamberger; 03-19-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Visitor

So after helping the Federal Express man pull two large boxes, fearful of the condition of the packaging I immediately opened it and had a HUGE sigh of relief. The OTA looked GREAT! After less than 15 min of construction, the scope was set up and ready, awaiting only for the night sky.

Under the open sky, I see Venus, but where is Jupiter? Hidden from my view behind a tree was just my luck! On to Venus! I see this bifurcated mass of light! Yep that's Venus! Looks to be darn near 50/50 in light coverage. Next I turn my attention to Orion. The veil around what I thought was just two stars before came clearly out to show it was at least four. This taught me a valuable lesson! Never assume you can see the whole picture, even if it is right in front of you. The second lesson was OMG I am glad I bought this scope. There is no comparison to my 4.5" Newt., a body threw it was lucky to catch my time for more than a few minutes. This scope will pull you into one for many more. Finally I went on to view Saturn. After several hours I realized it was now 3:30 in the morning. Did I really just spend the last 4 1/2 hours looking at just one spot. Yes sir I did! You want to know why? It was that amazing! This new telescope is well worth the money spent! Can't wait to get out tomorrow where I can view Jupiter. Soon I will post pictures.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Event Manager

Default ideas

Alan
I have 2 ideas for you...

1) Come to our events, bring your scope and learn the night sky
while showing the public what you already know & can find.

2) Join the club, become part of PAS, and the join the PAStimes
Star Tours, and get paid to show people the night sky.

Your scope sounds awesome!
Terri, Event Coordinator