262728293031 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Old 08-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Visitor

Default Moon Observations of a Child

Tonight while observing the moon through a 4.5"/114mm reflector with a 20mm lens, my nine year old daughter pointed out what she called the "bagel crater", where it looked like a bagel fell onto the moon.

We've recently been to the Adler Planetarium in Chicago so she was able to tell me how the impact created the dimple in the middle, but I wanted to be able to tell her what the name of the crater is. I thnk it is Theophilus???

Can anyone help identify the "bagel crater" with it's real name? Also if the "story behind the name" is known, I think that is one of the most fascinating aspects of Astronomy is all the stories behind the view from the telescope.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:03 AM
PAS Member

Default Moon Craters

From your description it's really hard to say, there are a number of craters that have a little mound in the middle of them. If you had a moon chart that would help you identify the area. So here are some of the one's that might fit your description. Copernicus is the best viewable crater with a large central bulge, then there is Eratosthenes, and yes, Theophilus, but it's much flatter, the first two have larger sides and make them look puffy. As for your Theophilus, The name origin is from the 4th century greek Philosopher born in Greece, The crater is about 61 miles across, it reaches 13,300 feet above the floor of the moon. It formed roughly -3.2- -1.1 billions years ago.The best time to view it are 5 days after New Moon or 4 day after Full moon, and is even visible with 10x binos.

Tags
children, moon, story